Oral Hygiene and Beyond!
Beyond the benefits of oral hygiene, tongue scraping, brushing, and flossing the teeth followed by drinking a large glass of water is a strategic way to kick-start the digestive process. By stimulating the taste buds with tongue scraping, not only is the tongue better able to perceive tastes and properly digest foods (3), this taste bud-activation also engages the lower intestines to initiate a complete bowel elimination first thing in the morning.
A copper tongue scraper will not only offer great oral hygiene benefits while scraping the tongue, it will also resist bacterial accumulation while not in use – results that last!
How to Scrape your Tongue
1. In the morning, right after you wake up, scrape your tongue. Make it the first thing you do.
2. With a relaxed tongue, using your U-shaped tongue scraper, gently reach to the back of the tongue and scrape the tongue from back to front. Repeat this 5-10 times, reaching as far back as comfortable, rinsing the scraper after each pass. A slight gag can help bring up some mucus from the back of the throat.
3. Follow tongue scraping with brushing (with non-fluoride toothpaste), flossing, and a large glass of water.
4. To complete an Ayurvedic oral hygiene routine, this can be followed by oil pulling – of course, this would require another round of tooth brushing.
5. Get into the habit of scraping your tongue prior to each brushing.